I have been enjoying every last bit of summer. The days are warm and we spend many moments at our local pool club with friends. Within all the memory making moments I squeeze in my workouts. Currently my weekly goals are to log in 10,000 steps on my Fit Bit and do 5 days of my 30 minute Beachbody workouts. These goals have been very acheiveable and I have been seeing the results.
One of my other goals for a healthier lifestyle is to drink at least 3,000 ML of water. What I have learned about keeping myself hydrated from the many different professionals I have worked with:
- Before you put anything in your body, drink a glass of water (a little lemon would be good to add). Many vitamins are water-soluble and this will help your body absorb nutrients from your food. The lemon is acidic and helps create balance in your digestive tract. (Basically drink a glass of water when you get up)
- Have your water bottles ready to go no matter where you are. No excuses not to get your water in.
Why does your body need water?
- Helps you dissolve food and turn it into energy
- Needed to carry waste out of the body
- Regulates body temperature
- Carries messages to the brain
- To build and maintain muscle
- Water Retention – Typically caused by poor diet, lack of exercise and dehydration
- Muscles need water to work, build and repair so yes, active muscles hold more water than non-active muscles. After exercise and activity, your muscles will hold a little more water.
- Your body is 45-75% water depending on your make up. Muscle tissue is about 70-80% water. Fat tissue is 10% water.
- Drinking water does not make you bloated – too much sodium consumption does that.
How Much Should I Drink?
- Divide your body weight in half – that is aproximately how many ounces of water you should consume daily.
- If you exercise under an hour, an extra glass should be enough.
- If you exercise over 60 minutes, you will need a little more.
- If you exercise over 90 minutes, electrolites will need to be replenished.
One of the ways that I have been keeping myself hydrated this summer is making a homemade lemonade recipe that I found at Healthful Pursuit. Leanne is a blogger about all things Keto and her recipes and tips that she has learned along the way. One of my favorite recipes is probably one of the most simple in the book, but it is what I need to get me through a hot summer day. It is especially refreshing after a workout with a scoop of Collagen powder and Macros Friendly. I usually triple the recipe so I have enough for a few days.
What do you add to your water to enhance the flavor? Happy Hydrating 🙂