One of my favorite parts of my IIFYM journey has been discovering new ways to combine and eat foods that I love. This summer I thought I would have more time to do things like eat lunch due to having some time off from my full time teaching duties. I don’t know what I was thinking! Between tennis and swim lessons, appointments, and those random things that just come up, lunch has been something that I have had to make sure is prepared ahead of time and portable.
When I saw recipes for different portable salads on the Beachbody On Demand Blog (Disclaimer I am not a Coach or sell anything Beachbody. I just like some of the recipes and workouts!) I knew this would be a perfect way to eat within my budgeted Macros and have a great tasting lunch.
Some fun facts I have learned before I started creating my Mason Jar full of yumminess!
Here are few tricks to keep in mind for creating the perfect Mason jar salad as I learned from the Beachbody On Demand Blog:
- Dressing always goes in the bottom so that your greens don’t get soggy
- Layering just the right way is important. Make sure there is a barrier of hearty ingredients and the greens.
- Stick to veggies as fruit will brown quickly
- Pack layers tightly- You want as little air as possible between layers to help your salad stay fresh longer.
- Greens go at the top- Remove as much moisture as possible from washed lettuce to prevent wilting. Pack your arugula, spinach, or other greens at the top of the jar. You’ll be surprised at how much you can fit in the small space.
- Keep your jars upright- You don’t want the dressing to get to your greens until they are supposed to.
- When you are ready to eat your salad just shake a bit and pour into a bowl of your choice. Eating from the jar proved a bit difficult!
So here is my modified version of one of the salads that was featured on the blog. I always gravitate to any recipe that has Mexican flavor profiles. This recipe did not fail me!
Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Salad in a Mason Jar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp + ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro divided use
- 1 clove garlic coarsely chopped
- • 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 oz shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped jicama
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 cups chopped spinach
Place lime juice, 2 Tbsp. cilantro, garlic, and in a blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
Slowly add oil, blending continuously, until well mixed. Evenly divide dressing between 4 one-quart Mason jars. Set aside.
.Evenly layer beans, chicken, jicama, radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, and remaining ½ cup cilantro on top of dressing in jars.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 32 mg
Sodium: 545 mg
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Fiber: 13 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 20 g
What are some of your favorite on the go lunches?