Can you believe it’s March already? Spring will be here before you know it, but in the meantime, a few heartier meals are still comforting in the weeks before the weather warms up in earnest. Comfort food dinner ideas don’t have to be high-calorie, though—the following recipe for this Beefy Rice Skillet is only 222 calories per serving (1-1/3 cups=1 serving). With ground beef, tomatoes, mixed vegetables, and brown rice, this dish is great for both kids and adults. It will only take you twenty-five minutes to make, too. If you’re a mom on the run, then this recipe could make things a little easier.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (93% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups lower sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz. each) Hunt’s® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- Cook beef with salt and garlic powder in deep 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until crumbled and no longer pink. Add all remaining ingredients to skillet. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender and mixture is of desired consistency.
- Cook’s Tips
A large saucepan or Dutch oven may be substituted for the deep skillet.