I have been so conflicted lately. In trying to figure out what my “diet” is going to look like after my 21 Day Sugar Detox is complete has been a lot more complicated that I had originally anticipated. More angst came today as I was sitting in a fast food restaurant with the kids (I know Mom of the Year Stuff) and I realized there was nothing that I could or even wanted on that menu. I will admit the chicken nuggets did smell tasty but it only inspired me to create my own (See recipe below for my Pecan Crusted Chicken Fingers). Eating clean has really changed me in many ways, and I do want to continue on this journey. I know that I am not always going to be perfect but I am going to strive to eat as clean as I can. One book that is helping me is so many ways is The Modern N0-Nonsense Guide to Paleo by Alison Golden. Alison is an amazing blogger who writes about her Paleo journey on her blog Paleo/Non-Paleo-Living paleo in a non-paleo world. She has doable strategies to help people who want to transition to a Paleo lifestyle. A lot of my questions are being answered and I am definitely feeling a lot better about making a transition. I am still digesting some information and will let you know what I come up with. It will definitely be a fusion of clean eating and Paleo.
So after my chicken nugget encounter today I knew I wanted to create detox friendly version that would satisfy my pallet. I remembered seeing breaded chicken recipes that included nuts in the breading. Pecans were on sale this week and I thought that would be a great breading for a chicken. With some simple modifications I was able to great moist chicken fingers that even the kids enjoyed. I definitely feeling much more comfortable using clean eating foods in my recipes.
- ½ cups Almond Flour
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup Pecan
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 2 tablespoons Organic Dijon Mustard
- 2 pounds Boneless Chicken Tenders, Washed And Patted Dry
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Spray a rimmed baking pan with coconut cooking spray and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine almond flour and salt. Set aside.
- Grind pecans in a food processor until nicely chopped then combine them with the almond flour mixture.
- Whisk egg white with Dijon mustard in a separate shallow bowl. Mix well.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip each chicken in the egg white mixture, then into the pecan mixture to coat. Press firmly then place chicken on the baking sheet. Repeat until you go through all your chicken pieces.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- I made a “buffalo” dipping sauce to go with these. Great flavor combination.
What are some of your favorite comfort food dishes? Do you have a favorite dipping sauce?
Off to enjoy another summer weekend!