The last few days have been a whirlwind of soccer games, family visits, and a semi-snow day. There has not been a lot of time to develop new recipes in the kitchen. These are the days that I am glad that I have a few trusted favorite recipes in my box that I can quickly whip up and have something tasty to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think it is important for every home “chef” to have at least 5 signature recipes that you could make with your eyes closed. Makes busy weeks or nights a lot more manageable.
Lately I have been looking for more on the go breakfast items. I have been guzzling down my VegaOne shakes, but I am a women who needs a change every once in a while. Food boredom and I do not mix. I love muffins, but not the muffin top that they give me. After looking for a way to have a muffin, I found an idea to use oatmeal as my base to my muffin. Add a few simple ingredients and you have a yummy breakfast to go. I often make a double batch to freeze for those mornings that nothing is going right (almost every Monday Morning in the Mom on the Run house).
My middle daughter gets very excited when I make these muffins because they go really well with So Delicious new Chocolate Coconut Milk Singles. So tasty with a muffin!
Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Muffins (Gluten and Dairy Free)
Adapted from Emily Bites
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats (I used Gluten Free)
- 1/4 cup packed Turbinado Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk drink
- ¾ c mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ c Dairy Free semi-sweet chocolate chips
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, egg, mashed banana, milk and vanilla.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until blended together. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Spoon the oatmeal mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake uncovered for 18-22 minutes or until oatmeal is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Monday Muffin Madness for your kitchen. What are you waiting for? Start baking .
Do you have a favorite muffin?